Autism is a developmental disorder of brain function. These disorders include social and affective functions, verbal communication (language) and non-verbal, imagination, flexibility, the scope of interest (interest), cognition and attention.
There are some behaviors that are often reported by parents with children with autism. Such as delays in speaking of kids his age, indifferent and careless behavior, or worry if their children suspected deafness.
Habits are outside the normal behavior is usually seen when a child is 3 years old. At times it is usually the parents realized that there was something different in their child.
Physical examination can be found in patients with autism are the symptoms of autism. A child will be examined from the height and weight and, until the body in general to see is there any abnormalities or not.
Some of the checks to be carried out before a diagnosis doctor include:
• Examination of the child’s behavior
• Physical examination (including examination of hearing)
• Follow-up (eg: chromosome examination, EEG, and MRI)
• Examination of the child’s development such as the M-CHAT
Symptoms in children with autism are usually already visible before the age of 3 years. Some of the symptoms that could be considered include lack of eye contact and lack of response to the environment.
If you do not do therapy, then after the age of 3 years of a child’s development will stop or reverse. As not recognize the voice of his parents and did not recognize his name.
Some experts revealed three classic autism symptoms in patients, namely:
• Impaired social interaction
• Barriers in communication speech and not a speech (body language and gestures)
• Activities and interests are strange or very limited.
There are also other properties commonly found in children with autism, such as:
- Difficult join the other children
- Laugh or giggle out of place
- Avoid eye contact or just a little eye contact
- Showed insensitivity to pain
- Prefer solitude or withdrawn
- Do not form a personal relationship that opens
- Likes to rotate objects or fixated on certain objects
- Highly dependent on the object that is already familiar with both physical
- Active or even completely inactive
- Does not respond to normal teaching methods
- Interested in the same things, do not want to accept or change
- No fear of danger
- Glued to the odd game
- Echolalia (repeating words or syllables)
- Do not want to be hugged
- Do not respond to words, behaved as if deaf
- Have difficulty in expressing needs through words
- Glad request through hand gestures or pointing
- Irritated or annoyed blindly
- Treatment for autism is divided into two parts:
Educating the family
The family has an important role in assisting the development of children. However, parents are the closest person who can help the child to learn to communicate, behave towards the environment and the people around. You could say the family is a window for people with autism to go into the outside world. Although it must be recognized that this is not an easy thing.
The use of drugs
The use of drugs in patients with autism should be under a doctor’s supervision. The treatment is given if there is a suspicion of interference in the brain that disrupts the emotional center of autism. This often results in sudden emotional distress, aggression, hyperactivity and stereotyped. Some of the drugs that can be given are haloperidol (an antipsychotic), fenfluramine, naltrexone (antiopiate), clomipramine (reduces spasms and aggressive behavior).
From some recent research, a treatment for autism disorder that develops is behavioral therapy. This therapy is believed to be the most important therapy.
The goal is to control or shape the behavior desired and undesired through reward and punishment system. Gift (reward) will improve the appearance of the desired behavior, while punishment (punishment) will reduce unwanted behavior.
Up to now has not found a way to prevent the onset of autism. But instead, there are several ways that you can do to lower the risk of autism. As:
• If you are pregnant and planning to become pregnant, should avoid alcohol, caffeine, and smoking
• If you are pregnant and planning a pregnancy, increase consumption of nutritious foods such as vegetables and fruit
• If you are planning a pregnancy, do regular exercise
• If you are pregnant, do controls regularly to the doctor
Do this if your child has been born:
- Put yourself Rasengan your child. Encourage your child to talk, laugh, and hold on to your
- child as often as possible. You could also try sleeping with your child
- Give milk to your child, even if it could be up to 2 years
- Provide nutritious foods high
The exact cause of autism is unknown until now. Keep in mind that the cause of autism is not one of the foster parents. According to research some of the causes of autism, among others:
- biochemical imbalances
- genetic factors
- metabolic factors
- Some unusual cases, autism is caused by a viral infection (TORCH), other diseases such as phenylketonuria (enzyme deficiency disease), and X syndrome (a chromosomal disorder).
According to studies conducted Lumbantobing (2000), the cause of autism is influenced by several factors, namely:
- Family factors and psychology
Children’s responses to stressors on the family and the environment.
- Abnormalities of biological organs and neurological (nerve)
Associated with organ and nerve damage that causes disruption of its functions, causing a state of autism in patients
- genetic factors
In the research found that 2-4% of the siblings also suffer from the same disease.
- Immune factors
Related to the pregnancy, the maternal immune factors that can not prevent infection and infant neural tissue damage.
- Factor in pregnancy and childbirth
- biochemical factors